WOODLAWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL
2011-2012 STANDARDIZED DRESS CODE
PRE-KINDERGARTEN THROUGH 5TH GRADE
Philosophy: We believe that all students have the right to a safe, healthy school environment. We believe that all students have the responsibility to dress appropriately and observe basic standards of cleanliness and good grooming. A student's dress and appearance should not cause disruption, distract from the educational process or create a health or safety concern for him or others.
Therefore, we establish as policy the following:
- Shoes shall be worn at all times, no high-heeled shoes or skate shoes are allowed. Closed toe shoes are required, ex: tie shoes or tennis shoes
- Dresses, skirts, shorts and skorts shall be below mid-thigh with no slits above mid thigh.
- Form-fitting, body hugging clothes are not allowed.
- Loose-fitting, oversized clothes are not allowed.
- Pants must be zipped, worn at the natural waistline and be no longer in length that the heels of the shoes.
- Head coverings are allowed only for outdoors activities.
- Blouses, shirts, and dresses shall not:
- be strapless and no less than 1 inch wide (i.e. spaghetti straps)
- be transparent
- reveal bare midriff
- be low-cut
- Undergarments must be worn but not visible.
- Jewelry may not pierce the skin except the ears.
- All clothing must be worn right side out.
- Students may not wear clothing, jewelry, buttons (including tattoos) or any other items with words, phrases, symbols, pictures, patches, or graphics which use indecent, swear, or sugggestive words or are drug, alcohol, or gang-related.
- Choke or wallet chains are not allowed.
- No make-up is allowed.
- Hair dyes of unnatural colors are distracting and therefore inappropriate for school.
In addition to the minimum standards herein established, each school may enhance upon these guidelines utilizing faculty, staff, parent, and student input as appropriate. Provisions for exceptions based upon religion shall be made at school sites.
School-based administrators have the final authority to determine when personal appearance and dress do not meet Board and school standards and also have the authority to take appropriate action.