Today is: Thursday,23 May,2013 08:42:28 PM
Unit 9 – Reactions
At the end of this unit, you should be able to:
- Identify the reactants and products in a chemical equation
- Use properly and Identify the symbols used in writing a chemical equation
- Identify and explain the Law of Conservation of Matter. Apply understanding to chemical reactions.
- Correctly count atoms and place coefficients when balancing equations.
- Explain how the number of atoms in the reactants of a reaction is the same as the number of atoms in the products.
- Explain how the properties of reactants compare to the properties of products in a chemical reaction
- Categorize the different types of reactions by looking at basic patterns of chemical equations
- Demonstrate the differences and similarities between solids, liquids, and gases
- Identify the quantitative relationships in a balanced equation
- Determine the possible mole ratios from a balanced chemical equation.
This is what you are responsible for learning:
- Chemical Equations
- Chemical Reactions
- Redox Reactions
- Formula writing
- Chemical Nomenclature
- Moles and mole calculations
- Atomic, molar and formula mass
- Avogadro's number
- mole conversions
This is what you need to do:
- Watch this cool video about chemical reactions!
- GoLive link – Watch Mr. R’s video on Balancing Reactions
- GoLive link – Watch Mr. R.’s video on Balancing Reactions, Sum of Coefficients
- Print the note-taking guide for episode 604 - Balancing equations. CREDIT
- Watch the video - episode 604
- Do this Balancing Equations worksheet (CREDIT) and this Word Equations worksheet CREDIT
- Do this Chemical reactions webquest. CREDIT
- GoLive link -Watch Mr R’s video – Writing Reactions given Names
- GoLive link – Watch Mr R’s video - Missing Mass Problems
- Read pp. 1-7 in the Reactions packet . Do pp. 16-17 for practice. CREDIT
- Use this note-taking guide for episode 605 - Types of reactions and predicting products. CREDIT
- Watch the video for episode 605.
- Do this Writing and Identifying equations worksheet. CREDIT
- Do this More fun with Equations worksheet. CREDIT
- Do the Even more fun with Equations worksheet. CREDIT
- GoLive link - Watch Mr. R's video - Synthesis and Decomposition
- GoLive link – Watch Mr R’s video - Single Replacement
- GoLive link – Watch Mr R’s video - Redox Reactions Demonstrations
- Read pp. 8-11 in packet. Do pp. 18-19 for practice. CREDIT
- GoLive link - Watch Mr R's video on Advanced redox reactions - Predicting Products
- GoLive link - Watch Mr. R's video on Double Replacement Reactions
- GoLive link - Watch Mr. R's video on Advanced Double Replacement Reactions
- Do this Chemical Reactions Lab – Schedule with Ms. Rinald CREDIT
- Play this Types of Reactions GAME!
- Do this Stoichiometry and Me webquest. CREDIT
- GoLive link - Watch Mr. R's video - Stoichiometry (Mole-Mole problems)
- GoLive link - Watch Mr. R's Demo video on how Stoichiometry goes BOOM!
- Read pp. 14-15 in packet. Do pp. 22-23 for practice. CREDIT
- Use the note-taking guide for Episode 801 - Mole/Mole and Mole/Mass Stoichiometry problems. CREDIT
- Watch episode 801 - mole/mole and mole/mass stoichiometry
- Use this 801 lab datasheet to record data from the video. CREDIT
- Do 801 problem set one, mole/mole problems worksheet
- problem set two, mole/mass worksheet, mole/mole and mole/mass worksheet, mixed problems and the challenge problem. CREDIT (X7)
- Use the episode 802 note-taking guide CREDIT
- Watch episode 802 Mass/Mass Stoichiometry Problems and Percent Yield
- Do Problem One, Problem Two, Mass/mass worksheet, Percent Yield worksheet CREDIT (X4)
- Do the Stoichiometry Lab CREDIT
- Do the "How Many can you Make?" worksheet CREDIT
See Ms. Rinald for the Unit Assessment.
Last Modified: 17 May,2013